I love this dish! It’s simple to make and will easily feed a lot of people. This meal is almost as good as Mac n’ Cheese in the comfort-food-department. Although I’ve made this dish dozens of times – I apparently never took a picture of it.
Creamy Italian Chicken on Rice
- 3-4 c dry rice
- 6-8 c water
- boneless, skinless chicken pieces – 8-10oz per person
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 3-4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp pepper
- 1 – 26oz can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 16 oz sour cream
- Begin by cooking the rice. Combine the dry rice and water (1:2 ration) in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce rice to a simmer and cover. Cook until rive is tender and all of the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and spread evenly in a greased oven proof pan. (Pan should not be full because you will be adding sauce ingredients.)
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with dried seasonings.
- Spread the Cream of Mushroom soup evenly to cover the chicken.
- Cover with foil to prevent browning and bake at 350 until the chicken is cooked through.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and stir in the sour cream to create a smooth creamy sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Reheat for a few minutes if needed.
Serve over cooked rice with lots of extra sauce! Can be served with steamed veggies or a big green salad.
- The rice instructions written here are for short grained white rice. Adjust amounts as needed if another kind of rice is used.
- The rice and the sauce can help this dish easily stretch to feed more people.
- Veggies such as zucchini, red bell peppers, broccoli, etc. can easily be added to the chicken if desired.
- This dish can be frozen and then reheated BEFORE the sour cream is added.
- This recipe can be gluten free if a gluten free Cream of Mushroom soup is used.