Meal number five – Thursday dinner
This soup was made up almost entirely of freezer stuff!
I used up:
2 qt bags chopped asparagus
1 qt bag carrot “coins”
one large container of “mystery” soup (turned out to be mostly beef and mushrooms from a crock pot roast)
the rest of the rump roast from yesterdays dinner
the rest of the large can of cream of mushroom soup from yesterdays lunch
leftover broccoli and rice soup from earlier this week
some other random leftovers that just happened to contain broccoli, beef and rice
In an attempt to do more then just dump it all in a pot, I diced up the rump roast, tossed it with some flour and salt and pepper, and fried it in some hot olive oil. It gave the meat a nice crunch even after it was added to the soup! But after that – I literally dumped everything in a big pot, added a few cups of water and just let it bubble away. I have to say – I thought it turned out to be pretty good. And these leftovers are going to make a fantastic beef pot pie tomorrow!
Dessert is in the oven – although it looks like we might be having some more soup. I’m attempting to make a kind of rhubarb strawberry crumble to use up some more freezer stuff. Only problem in we’re missing some of the key ingredients for a crumble… and there is way to much liquid since everything was frozen. If I leave it in there long enough it might turn into something that doesn’t have to be eaten with a spoon! I’ll keep you posted…
I love this dish! It’s simple to make and will easily feed a lot of people. This meal is almost as good as Mac n’ Cheese in the comfort-food-department. Although I’ve made this dish dozens of times – I apparently never took a picture of it.
Creamy Italian Chicken on Rice
- 3-4 c dry rice
- 6-8 c water
- boneless, skinless chicken pieces – 8-10oz per person
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 3-4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp pepper
- 1 – 26oz can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 16 oz sour cream
- Begin by cooking the rice. Combine the dry rice and water (1:2 ration) in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce rice to a simmer and cover. Cook until rive is tender and all of the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and spread evenly in a greased oven proof pan. (Pan should not be full because you will be adding sauce ingredients.)
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with dried seasonings.
- Spread the Cream of Mushroom soup evenly to cover the chicken.
- Cover with foil to prevent browning and bake at 350 until the chicken is cooked through.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and stir in the sour cream to create a smooth creamy sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Reheat for a few minutes if needed.
Serve over cooked rice with lots of extra sauce! Can be served with steamed veggies or a big green salad.
- The rice instructions written here are for short grained white rice. Adjust amounts as needed if another kind of rice is used.
- The rice and the sauce can help this dish easily stretch to feed more people.
- Veggies such as zucchini, red bell peppers, broccoli, etc. can easily be added to the chicken if desired.
- This dish can be frozen and then reheated BEFORE the sour cream is added.
- This recipe can be gluten free if a gluten free Cream of Mushroom soup is used.