My challenge for the next couple of days is this… feed myself and four hungry active kids three meals a day while my mom is in Portland at Hannah’s debate tournament! Oh – and try to use up random food that’s in the freezer at the same time.
Meal Number One – Wednesday Lunch
I arrived at my parents house about an hour before the younger kids had to be at their friends house for a weekly play date. (That was bad planning on my part.)
I scrambled through the cupboards trying to find SOMETHING to feed them that could be thrown together quickly and keep them going for most of the afternoon. Solution? Tuna and Rice Casserole!
cooked rice leftover from dinner last night
4 cans of tuna
1/2 of a giant can of cream of mushroom soup
dried minced garlic
grated cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400.
Throw cold rice in a 9×13 pan, break up any big chunks so it will heat evenly. Dump undrained tuna on top of rice and spread out to cover evenly. Sprinkle seasonings, garlic and salt evenly over everything. Plop cream of mushroom soup across pan and spread to cover. Throw in oven and cook until nearly hot. Pull out of oven, stir around to combine all ingredients and sprinkle top with cheese. Put back in oven until cheese is melted and casserole is completely hot.
Encourage the one child that doesn’t like it to eat it anyways ’cause that’s all she’s getting and then rush kids to car and off to friends house!
Stay tuned to see how I respond to this challenge and what is unearthed from the freezer!
I love this dish! It’s simple to make and will easily feed a lot of people. This meal is almost as good as Mac n’ Cheese in the comfort-food-department. Although I’ve made this dish dozens of times – I apparently never took a picture of it.
Creamy Italian Chicken on Rice
- 3-4 c dry rice
- 6-8 c water
- boneless, skinless chicken pieces – 8-10oz per person
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 3-4 tsp granulated garlic
- 1-2 tsp paprika
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp pepper
- 1 – 26oz can Cream of Mushroom soup
- 16 oz sour cream
- Begin by cooking the rice. Combine the dry rice and water (1:2 ration) in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce rice to a simmer and cover. Cook until rive is tender and all of the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat.
- While rice is cooking, prepare the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and spread evenly in a greased oven proof pan. (Pan should not be full because you will be adding sauce ingredients.)
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with dried seasonings.
- Spread the Cream of Mushroom soup evenly to cover the chicken.
- Cover with foil to prevent browning and bake at 350 until the chicken is cooked through.
- When cooked, remove from the oven and stir in the sour cream to create a smooth creamy sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Reheat for a few minutes if needed.
Serve over cooked rice with lots of extra sauce! Can be served with steamed veggies or a big green salad.
- The rice instructions written here are for short grained white rice. Adjust amounts as needed if another kind of rice is used.
- The rice and the sauce can help this dish easily stretch to feed more people.
- Veggies such as zucchini, red bell peppers, broccoli, etc. can easily be added to the chicken if desired.
- This dish can be frozen and then reheated BEFORE the sour cream is added.
- This recipe can be gluten free if a gluten free Cream of Mushroom soup is used.