Korean Short Ribs
- 5 lbs Korean style beef short ribs
- 1 c brown sugar, packed (alternative sweetener and 1 T molasses can also be used)
- 1 c soy sauce or Braggs Aminos
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 c rice vinegar
- 1 medium onion – finely diced
- 1/4 c fresh minced garlic
- 1-2 T minced fresh ginger
- 2 T toasted Sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2-3 sprigs Thai basil – minced
- 6 Serrano peppers – minced, optional
- 3-4 green onions – thinly sliced, for garnish
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Let it sit until sugar is dissolved.
- Add short ribs and marinade to a large zip lock bag (remove most of the air before sealing).
- Turn bag over a few times to coat ribs evenly with marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When you are ready to cook the ribs, preheat a grill or a cast iron pan to high heat.
- Drain off excess marinade.
- Cook ribs 3-4 minutes on each side, turning once.
- Garnish with sliced green onions.
- When looking for short ribs – try to buy the thinnest, widest, and leanest ribs available. (The ribs will still have some fat, which is good, but many of the ribs for sale have excessive amounts.)
- Serrano peppers are optional, the longer the ribs marinade – the spicier they will be.
For our beans we used a Soyaki marinade I found at Trader Joe’s. This replaced the sugar, soy sauce, water, and some of the ginger and garlic.
Spicy Korean Kidney Beans
- 1 standard size can red kidney beans – drained and rinsed
- 1-2 T ketchup
- 3 T brown sugar (alternative sweetener and a dollop of molasses could also be used)
- 3 T soy sauce or Braggs Aminos
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-2 T garlic – minced
- 1 T fresh ginger – minced
- 1-2 green onions – thinly sliced, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a slow boil over medium heat.
- Cook until sauce has reduced slightly.
Serve as a side dish or over rice. Garnish with green onions.
Don’t forget to check out Maangchi’s recipe for Kimchi which can be found here: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi