I love this salad! It’s full of protein, fresh veggies and delicious Asian flavors. This is another recipe from the previously mentioned Thai cook book. I normally leave a few ingredients out but I’ve italicized the adjustments I made so you can see all of the options! (Update: If you are following the Trim Healthy Mama plan, Shirataki noodles would be the perfect replacement for the rice noodles!)
Piquant Prawn Salad
- 7 oz rice vermicelli noddles or Shirataki noodles (follow the first 5 instructions in this recipe if using Shirataki noodles)
- 8 baby corn cobs – halved
- 5 oz snow peas
- 1 T coconut oil (or vegetable oil)
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger – peeled and finely chopped
- 1 fresh red or green chili – seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lb raw peeled jumbo shrimp
- 4 green onions – thinly sliced
- 1 T toasted sesame seeds
- 1 lemon grass stalk – thinly shredded
For the dressing
- 1 T fresh chives – chopped
- 1 T Thai fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce or Braggs Aminos
- 3 T peanut oil (or if you love sesame oil as much as I do, use it instead of peanut oil!)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 T rice vinegar
- Put the rice noodles in a heat proof bowl, cover with boiling water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Drain rice noodles, refresh with cold water, drain again and set aside.
- The dressing can be made ahead of time by combining ingredients and either shaking or whisking all of the dressing ingredients together and then setting aside.
- Saute, or steam, the snow peas and baby corn and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan (or wok). Add the garlic, ginger and chili and cook for one minute.
- Add the shrimp and cook until just pink.
- Stir in the green onions, snow peas, baby corn and sesame seeds. Toss lightly to mix.
- Add the contents of the pan to the rice noodles.
- Pour the dressing on top and toss well.
- Sprinkle with lemon grass and chill for one hour before serving.
Enjoy this light flavorful salad!
this looks amazing!!