Meal number eight – Friday dinner
For dinner tonight I just thickened up last nights beef stew by throwing in a couple handfuls of flour as I reheated it. Then I made some easy cheddar biscuits that I baked in a dutch oven on top of my beef “stew” – to create an instant… Beef Pot-Pie!
Easy Cheddar Biscuits
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 c butter
- 1/2 c grated cheddar
- 1/3 c milk
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine first four ingredients in a medium/large bowl.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter and cheddar.
- Pour in milk and stir together until just blended.
- Lightly flour cutting board or clean counter and gently roll out dough to desired thickness.
- Cut dough to desired size and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and done inside.
(I pretty much just tore pieces of dough off and flattened them into biscuit shapes that mostly fit together to cover the pot-pie. Then I baked the whole thing in the oven at 400 for about half an hour. So that’s an option too.)
Everyone loved this impromptu pot-pie!
This ends the Feed the Family Challenge. My dad is home now so he and Rosie will be taking care of feeding the kids tomorrow! Rosie has plans for breakfast that involve using up a bunch of frozen berries and some spinach…
Keep an eye out for my next “mini series” – Why Fat IS Good For You!