Here’s another of my favorite salad recipes! This is a great way to get some healthy protein without eating meat. This salad tastes fresh and bright and happy. If you haven’t found a way to enjoy quinoa, try this. Trust me!
Southwest Quinoa Salad
- 1 heaping T grated lime zest
- ¼ c. fresh lime juice
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T maple syrup or 1 tsp granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 2 c quinoa – rinsed well (soak for a few minutes, drain in a fine strainer)
- 4 c water
- 2 cans black beans – rinsed well (or about 3 c. cooked black beans, rinsed well)
- 4 medium tomatoes – diced
- 1 bunch green onions – finely chopped (including most of the green part)
- 1 c fresh cilantro – coarsely chopped
- Simmer quinoa in water, uncovered, about 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Strain any excess water. (Quinoa seems to cook up about the same way rice does – so you should be safe using using your favorite “rice cooking” method.)
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or blend together in a food processor to emulsify.
- Combine dressing and quinoa in a large bowl and stir to coat evenly.
- Add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Taste and add a little salt or lime juice if needed to bring out the flavor.
This can be served hot or as a cold salad – it’s delicious either way!
Pingback: Bragging Rights & Chicken Curry Salad | Salt For Flavor